Monday, August 18, 2008

Shortest Job I Ever Held

Well...Many of you know I applied at The Fairgate Inn and was hired to join their catering staff. I have been very excited and very very nervous for the last couple of weeks waiting to start. I was happy to work in an environment surrounded by weddings and events (totally my thing!) but was very nervous having not really worked in a year and having never served before.

I started Saturday. I knew it was going to be a long day because we had Jones' Birthday Party earlier in the day and it was what? 100 degree weather! I absolutely loved serving my tables and preparing the tables for the next morning. I also loved the people, they really were great to work with. The difficult part for me was moving around all the furniture. I wasn't ready for that. I moved 160 chairs and several tables from the gazebo to the side of the house (luckily and angel of co-worker helped me with the tail end of it) and stuff like that. Man! I have so much respect and admiration for those hard workers there! For myself I just don't feel that in this stage, age, and shape of my life that I can handle it. I sound like a wimp but it was literally the hardest work I have ever done and that includes lugging around ovens for Papa Murphy's Events! As a Momma of two that is tired at the end of the day anyway, to just be starting work at 5pm or so and then to serve at weddings and do all the laborious work after the event was just too much for my hours before bed. Maybe if it was in the morning I could do it. It was also hard to be away from my family on "our" weekend night. And I was sooooooooooooooo tired and sooooooooooo sore! Also my swollen leg is still extra swollen. I am learning that at 31 I am not as resilient as I was at 20. Gosh I make it sound like I am so old and weak! Well I am not!!! And I am actually a hard working girl but looking at the money vs. the job in this case, I decided it just wasn't worth it.

I just feel absolutely horrible about quitting. I am dreading calling today. I also have some personal connections there which makes this extra hard. I just have to have the strength to make the decision that is best for my family. Now I start back at square one so I am still open for suggestions as I am back on my part-time job search.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ahh, I am so sorry it didn't work out, it doesn't sound like something I would like to do either though.